Cayuga Creek Reports Watershed Habitat Strategy:
Cayuga Creek Ecology
In 2004, through funding from the City of Niagara Falls Casino Revenue, the Buffalo Niagara WATERKEEPER continued working to restore Cayuga Creek in Niagara County.
Our 2005 success list included:
• Ongoing education of creekside homeowners and businesses on the need to improve Creek health
• Completion of a creek shoreline erosion study with Buffalo State College experts with consultation from national Corps of Engineer experts that identified areas in need of restoration and stabilization
• Two very successful shoreline clean ups through the efforts of hundreds of volunteers!!
• Negotiation of a contract with the NY Power Authority and US Army Corps to develop a Cayuga Creek Restoration Road Map to outline how we can most strategically improve the health of the Creek. Project partners include Niagara County, the City of Niagara Falls, US Fish & Wildlife, Niagara County Soil and Water Conservation Service, NYS DEC, LaSalle Business and Professional Association and LaSalle PRIDE.
• Completion of a Cayuga Creek Canoe Trail Design and Brochure together with a detailed construction design for a first launch facility at Jayne Park.