Welcome to the water season!
SAFETY | STEWARDSHIP | SERVICE
Join us for a weekend promoting safety, stewardship, and service as we kick-off Western New York’s water season!
Enjoy a weekend full of activities that connect us all to water. Check out what’s planned for Waterkeeper Weekend, Thursday, May 18 – Sunday, May 21.
Items in bold will feature Buffalo Niagara Waterkeeper staff or volunteers
THURSDAY, MAY 18
- BNW: “Toast to You” Major Donor Appreciation Event at The Terrace in Delaware Park
- Tifft Nature Preserve Wellness Walks. 10 am to noon. Free with a suggested $3 donation per person. Please call 716-825-6397 to confirm walk will be taking place. Click here for more information.
FRIDAY, MAY 19
- Buffalo River History Tours at 10:30 am, 12:30 pm, 2:30 pm, 4:30 pm – Sign up!
- BNW: Waterkeeper Weekend Kick-Off Press Event at Wilkeson Pointe at 1:30 p.m. with major joint announcement from Congressman Higgins and Buffalo Niagara Waterkeeper.
- Water and Wood: Canoes in NY, Buffalo Maritime Center Open House. 6 p.m. Buffalo Maritime Center | 90 Arthur Street, Buffalo. Click here for more information.
SATURDAY, MAY 20
- BNW: Safety Check! Volunteer Ambassador Rob will be out and about on the Buffalo Blueway checking in with paddlers to make sure they have brushed up on their safety protocols for summer fun. Look for him – he will have giveaways!
- Boom Days Celebrate the removal of the ice boom and spring in the Old First Ward. It’s from 2-9 p.m at Duende and Silo City.
- BNW: Solo Sweep Kit Giveaway and Seabin Launch. Join us for our SeaBin Trash Traps Launch and Solo Sweep Kit Giveaway event at Buffalo Harbor State Park from 10 a.m. to noon!
- Coast Guard’s Safe Boating Week. The Coast Guard Sector Buffalo is kicking off Safe Boating Week from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Buffalo and Erie County Naval & Military Park, 1 Naval Park Cove. Members of the public are invited to attend and to explore some of the Coast Guard’s assets used in local missions. There will also be a live helicopter search and rescue demonstration in the Buffalo River, showcasing the Coast Guard’s readiness to respond to boating emergencies. Additionally, attendees can learn about the resources offered by the Coast Guard to ensure boater safety on the water. Learn more here.
- Stem Saturday at Explore & More Stop by the museum from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and get those wheels turning this weekend with STEM based activities. power the play across the museum the third Saturday of each month. Join the museum in the Tinkering Tank for May’s STEM Saturday, Magnetic May! Learn the science behind magnets, build a magnetic town, and put your magnetic knowledge to the test on this fun afternoon!
- Assemblymember Jon D. Rivera, with co-hosts WNY Trash Mob, invite people to help beautify the West Side community during its annual Grant Street Cleanup. It is from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Coffee, donuts, water and a pizza lunch will be provided for all volunteers. All tools and supplies will be provided, thanks to the WNY Tool Library. Meet up is at 65 Grant St., Buffalo NY 14213. Click here to register.
SUNDAY, MAY 21
- BNW: Solo Sweep Workshop at Seneca Bluffs. Join the Friends of Seneca Bluffs to learn how pledging to do Solo Sweeps can reduce plastic pollution and work towards eventually eliminating litter from being a source of microplastics. On May 21 from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Performance of “Cullud Wattah” by Ujima Theater Company. The company will perform a show that looks at a family dealing with the water crisis in Flint, Michigan and this will go on throughout the weekends in May, ending May 21. Our staff will be there for the May 21 show to facilitate an audience and cast discussion about our water, as well as tabling with lots of resources for citizens about their water. Click here for more information.
- BNW: Happy & Healthy Wellness Event sponsored by Project Best Life and Buffalo Rising, hosted by The Terrace Buffalo in Delaware Park from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Local cycle studios will take over the patio and offer on-site classes with stationary bikes as people overlook Hoyt lake. No equipment or experience is needed! Every skill level is welcome. This event will also feature a dozen vendors. No prior reservation is required. Additional details here.
LOOK OUT FOR THESE OTHER HAPPENINGS!
- ‘Biological Regionalism: Niagara River, Western NY’ by Alberto Rey at Castellani Art Museum (CAM) at the center of the Niagara University campus. Click here for more information.
- BNW: For the month of May, we are excited to be partnered with Orvis Buffalo (Eastern Hills Mall). Orvis is running a promotion to generate donations for Buffalo Niagara Waterkeeper. Stop into the store and make a donation of $10 or more to Buffalo Niagara Waterkeeper, and receive some special in-store offers! Like Buffalo Niagara Waterkeeper, Orvis is committed to helping protect our local waterways so that we may enjoy our natural resources for generations to come. Stop in the store to learn about their free classes, support the cause, and receive a special offer!